Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Has it been 58 Years? Renewing Friendships


One never knows how much friends effect your life 
until after fifty years they show up again. Anonymous


I first met Tom Bugg on July 10, 1955, at a dance at Atton's Lake, Saskatchewan.

From then we kept in touch. Throughout my Psychiatric training, Saskatchewan Hospital North Battleford; while I worked in Belmont Hospital in England 1959 and Switzerland in 1960.


Before I left North Battleford I had cut a picture his graduation from Advanced Flying School at RCAF Station, Gimli, Man, from the News Optimist. I put it on my wall at my Belmont Residence.

Tom kept me well posted on his successes. His letters are always over flowing with pride and happiness. He was in New Brunswick when he wrote that he was coming over to Europe for 2 years. He wrote that he when he came to England he would take Jacqui & I out on the town. He made $400.00 clear per month and wanted me to help him spend it!!!

Christmas of 1960 he and his wife, Elaine, made a surprise trip from France to see me at the Swiss hospital, where I was working at the time.

In April of 1961, as Jacqui, Marion and I were finishing our European travels, we stopped at  their home just north of Grostenquin, France. Tom Bugg and Elaine had written to say they are going to “Canadian-ize”, slowly at first, as not to shock us! Elaine fed us well and Tom showed off his flying skills. By then they are expecting a “little Bugg”. Tom sounded ever so much like the proud papa!
Marion,  Elaine and Jacqui
We had not kept in touch for many years until recently when I received an email from them.

Randal, Lorraine, Elaine and Tom
While visiting Yuma, AZ this past week Randal and I enjoyed meeting visit with Elaine and Tom
The friendship continues.



No comments:

Post a Comment