Sunday, September 21, 2014

Apple Cakes

Randal and I have settled in for the winter in Osoyoos, BC

There are plenty of apples being picked here in the Okanagan Valley. In the apple orchards many have dropped off the trees. I purchased a bag from a fruit stand and made apple sauce and an apple cake.

I dug into to my recipe file box and found a copy of one I used many years ago while baking for the Regina Hadassah Trade Fair and Bazaar. It was one of Goldie Fruman, a senior member of the former Regina Chapter of Hadassah-WIZO.

Goldie Fruman and her team of friends baked up a storm during the 1960s and 1970s for the bazaar. Not only did they make apples cakes, they made apple strudel, bagel, cinnamon buns, and bread. Many hours were spent in the kitchen in the Victoria Avenue Synagogue.

Back then I was a new to Regina Hadassah-WIZO and volunteered my time in the kitchen. I learned new recipes as well as the art of massive baking and how to clean up after a day of baking for bazaars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment