Saturday, January 22, 2011

V-E Day 1945

As I continue with cleaning out, sorting and downsizing "Stuff",  I came across this post card.

It brought back a memory of when I was 7 years old and the WW11 had just ended. 

The students from a number of small rural schools around Cut Knife SK were invited to march in a victory parade.

I remember being one of the young students that were lined up and was told to walk very solemnly and orderly in the school section.  

It must have been a cool day as my mother dressed me in my long brown-ribbed stockings which were held up with garters. During the walk I could feel something sliding down my leg.  It was one of the stockings. I became very conscious and embarrassed, as I had to reach down and hold it up as I walked.  It was very uncomfortable to do because I had to hold the stocking above my knee under the dress I wore. I was sure everyone along the street could see me. All I wished was for the day to end and my mom and dad take me home!

No comments:

Post a Comment